Monday, August 6, 2012

You prepare a table before me....
 Psalm 23:5 NIV

“Breakfast is ready! Come to the table!”

Who has not uttered these words or at least heard this call? Often what follows is silence and a period of waiting, soon to be followed by another call and another period of waiting--then, perhaps another, and another.

Frustration can certainly set in after I have prepared a nice breakfast and those I have called do not come, or they simply choose to come on their own timetable. Then, upon arriving at the table they groggily devour what has been prepared with hardly a word spoken, much less one of gratitude. 

Starting our day with a good breakfast boosts our energy, increases our attention span, and heightens our sense of well-being. By recharging the brain and body, we will be more efficient in just about everything we do.

Recently, God reminded me of how, more times than I care to confess, I have heard his early morning call and yet, have kept him waiting after he has prepared a wonderful table for me. Far too often I have chosen to grab a quick bite on the run by reading a one-minute devotion, listening to my favorite worship CD or by pulling up an inspiring message on my Ipod.
Though beneficial, these are all poor substitutes for spending time at the table with my Savior, enjoying his presence, gleaning from his Word, and pausing to give thanks.

Just as eating a good breakfast maintains our physical and mental well being, coming to the table upon the Lord’s call will enhance our spiritual well being. Our inner man will be energized, our spiritual awareness and discernment heightened, and our knowledge and love for the Lord and others will grow deeper.

By recharging our spiritual bodies, we will not only be more efficient in all that we do but, all that we do will glorify Him.

Oops! So sorry. I hate to run. But, I think I hear my Father calling.

--Starr Ayers
Asheboro, NC
"365 Degree Lens" Photo Journal

No comments:

Post a Comment